Sunday, February 5, 2012

☉☉ Liquid gold straight from the tap ☉☉

The most important thing we can do for our babies is offer them the finest of gifts, our breast milk.  So many of us would never think twice about not breastfeeding but as we know, there are many woman who have chosen not to either because they were never educated about the importance of breastfeeding or they simple cannot for various reasons.  If this is the case, you can always ask your local Leche League about woman in the area who may be able to pump for you.  A few of us woman in Hawaii did this for a teenage girl who left her newborn with her Tutu (Grandmother in Hawaiian).  Many indigenous cultures share the breast with other children and feed for Mamas who are not able to produce.   Just another One of the beauties of living in Community!
Reading some of the posts about the yoga mama photo, I was amazed by how many were actually offended upon seeing the photo.  I wanted to put together a small collage of inspiring woman throughout the world that are offering the breast in many shapes and forms.  We are so  dysfunctional here in America when it comes to sexuality, nudity, and even public breastfeeding!!   We need some serious sexual healing.
Thank you to all of the Amazing And Powerful woman out there who have allowed themselves the gift of Breastfeeding.  The bonding that takes place during this sacred time is truly unexplainable.



18 comments:

Still Blooming said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Nina said...

pure love!

Sarah Marie said...

That's aweful people were offended by a beautiful photo of something so natural. I breastfed my lil girl for 3 1/2 years.

luke and pamela said...

i love this post. such gorgeous images. i am feeding my baby girl now thinking how i need to take a photo to remember this time too. thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

How can something this beautiful & natural be offensive to anyone?? One of the best experiences of my life was breastfeeding...Wonderful post... <3

Meegs said...

Beautiful. Gwen and I are just reaching the 2 year mark and I'm so lucky and blessed to have this special dimension to our relationship. I love being able to sustain and comfort her from my own body.

Its so great that you've shared your milk. I was able to donate some of my milk to a mama in need (she wasn't able to produce enough). It definitely makes the world feel a little smaller to share such a thing!

Another blog I pop by has a wonderful series showing breastfeeding in art from all different times, and its so neat to see how its portrayed (it shows how this silly sexualizing of breastfeeding is a recent thing):
http://marvelouskiddo.blogspot.com/search/label/Breastfeeding

laoi gaul~williams said...

a lovely post!
i agree, the trouble is society, the media have sexualised women in such a negative way people then follow by forgetting the true nature of women (and any naked form)which is so sad.

i am new to your blog but have been going through your old posts and following your beautiful journey :)

Daughter of the Sun said...

Ohh, thank you Mama's for your beautiful words. So happy to connect with you all here and beyond! We are all just one big tribe on this amazing planet and I am so grateful to be here NOW.

Dana said...

I breastfeed my son, who is now almost 11 months and it´s the absolute more amazing feeling in the world, it´s like a big burst of LOVE all around!!!!!!

L said...

Oh some beautiful images there! Just stunning!

Farmers Wifey said...

Wow I loved these photos, these mothers are beautiful, xx Thanks for sharing...

ChiTownAP said...

Love the post and the pics! Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing I agree! Breastfeeding my daughters made me so happy and so close to them. I also experienced a lot of opposition from all angles. It's unfortunate that breastfeeding is not taught as the food of choice from the start!

kelly @kellynaturally said...

Beautiful photos!!

I breastfed my first child for 4 years and my second for 3.5 years.

It was such a precious & wonderful time for us!

Thank you for sharing these; how I wish breastfeeding were more normalized & accepted and that women were always supported in their efforts to do what is a very natural & normal way to feed babies!!

-kelly

The Flying Tortoise said...

Beautiful images...

barefoot mama said...

Beautiful tribute to such a gift....thank you! ~ Barefoot Mama

Courtney said...

love!

Ashley said...

Hey, poking round your blog to see what I may have missed! I love this post. To me there is really nothing sweeter than a babe nursing (or a fawn or a puppy for that matter - I have nursed a puppy and the cuteness just about killed me). It's so sad that this beautiful gift and crucial bond was stolen from our culture for two solid generations. I'm glad we are beginning to reclaim it but there is still much work to be done as far as many peoples' bottle-warped perceptions. A doc told my mother that she "didn't have enough milk" so she didn't really even try. So sad! I'm sorry I missed out on my momma's milk but I'm thankful I'm breaking the double-generation (both matriarchal / patriarchal) formula-feeding legacy of my family and that we as a culture are beginning to heal and reclaim that which was taken - something so tender and important to our development as compassionate, plugged-in beings. Anyway, thank you for this post of beautiful pics and for your own sirsasana suckle!!!

MM said...

These photos are simply amazing! Breastfeeding is such a beautiful and natural act. I would love to see more women breastfeed and for people to stop looking at it as "sexual and disgusting".