Sunday, April 10, 2011

Naia and I doing our daily yoga...




I am a blessed Mama.

*2011 Update:  Posting this back in April I had no idea that it would soon be shared throughout the lands.   I have read some prettty amazing quotes that people have posted about the photo.  The best were people thinking i was actually hanging from the tree!?   I did love the "milk bong" quotes along with "good till the last drop" and one of my favorite "Mothers.... The ultimate multitaskers".

~ Much gratitude for your voices, whatever they may choose to express!!! There are many out there who dont understand the breastfeeding yoga photo. This is a great opportunity for us to practice compassion with others as we are all unique with different experiences and different realities!! : ) What a blessing! Thank you for being able to see the light in this and to share in the love of life, whatever it may bring!  

~The truth is we were living on a small community in Hawaii where our land was clothing optional and yoga was/is a necessity!  I was just doin’ my daily flow when the little sweet pea came to sneak a suckle. Papa had her out in the grass with him and she just couldn’t resist! This happens all the time by the way. When a breast is out and baby is around, they are going to try and get it anyway they can! I have been blogging for years now and this photo was just a simple share of a beautiful captured moment.  Aloha! 

***  PLEASE CREDIT IF SHARING THIS IN ANYWAY ***


AUG 2013 Update:

Yoga breastfeeding photo~ Setting things straight.

In light of the fresh attention coming to what is now known as the “naked breastfeeding photo,” I am going to take the time to address some questions and assumptions, as it seems many folks are painting a story that just isn't true. Since I first shared this photo back in 2010 I have been asked these questions over and over again so hopefully I can now put some rest to the inquiries.

Q: What do you guys do for a living?  You must either be a trust fund child or live off of the state.
I have been making jewelry and handmade goods for the last 10 years. We also buy and sell vintage and indigenous crafts from our travels. My partner is a working musician who makes albums and often opportunities arise for other projects.  You can hear some of his music here Lexus~ Crowd 2014

I’m hardly a trust fund child, though my family does love to buy their Granddaughter little treasures. What Grandparents don't? So no, we are not supported by our families in any way. We also pay taxes for the two businesses we have:  My Etsy shop and my Partner’s music career. This is our only form of bills besides a cell phone, so any funds that come in we can use for traveling. 

Q: Was this photo staged?  You must just be showing off for attention and only care about yourself.  
Though I have answered this question many, many times I will answer it again.  I am just going to share my original post  as it still stands true as shown above: 

The truth is we were living on a small community in Hawaii where our land was clothing optional and yoga was/is a necessity! I was just doin’ my daily flow when the little sweet pea came to sneak a suckle. Papa had her out in the grass with him and she just couldn’t resist! This happens all the time by the way. When a breast is out and baby is around, they are going to try and get it anyway they can! I have been blogging for years now and this photo was just a simple share of a beautiful captured moment. 
My blog at this point had been set up so that we could share our travels and Naia with our families and close friends. When I posted the photo I had no idea it would be shared the way it was. There was no showing off intended, nor did I send this photo out to any websites to gain attention.  A few close friends shared it on Facebook as a beautiful photo of a mama connecting with her child.  It was shared again from there and so on and so forth.  

Q: Why did you select the photos shared on the BabyCenter story? 
The woman who interviewed me for BabyCenter Baby Center found my Instagram photo feed and selected the photos herself to share on the blog. I find it disheartening that so many would criticize our body types.  We all come in different shapes and sizes, what a blessing! Our bodies are clean, light, and not filled with processed, GMO food or any other kind of disharmonies.   We also practice many forms of exercise which keep us fit. 

Q: How can you live in New Zealand with the strict immigration laws?
We are not moving to New Zealand. I shared that we are simply traveling there for six months. Naia was conceived there and it is one of our favorites places on earth.  

Re: "She probably had her daughter off of the state"
Unsurprisingly (I’m sure), we had a home water birth with one of the best midwives in Hawaii. It cost us $1800 and we paid her in four payments.  

Q: How did you come about this lifestyle?
It all started with my yoga practice. Really allowing myself the time and space to sit and just BE. Through this came much clarity and all the love I was feeling was vibrating from all cells of my being. I wanted to live simply, I wanted to be free, I wanted to find happiness and live in the most clean and vibrant place possible. A place where I could be sustainable while eating local organic foods and drinking the purest of water. I made a choice, a lifestyle choice that I knew required discipline and dedication. I have to remind myself in every moment to choose love. This is possible for us all! It’s a wild world and we create our own reality! 

Q: Are you just a bunch of hippies?
Hippie is such an outdated stereotype that keeps being used with this photo. It’s a very uninformed and ignorant description. What ever happened to the word Human Being?

I understand our family is not the stereotypical ideal. We might look different to the mainstream world, but the closeness and love we share is beyond ideal. 


56 comments:

Prism Of Threads said...

I am blessed to have you in my life! Inspiring earth Mama! Love you! XOXO

Pixie Campbell said...

Loving your ways, mama.

sperlygirl said...

found you via pixie - and would totally have to agree with her comment. belissima

b_maria_why said...

well, i am lucky to be reading your blog via pixie's suggestion. you are gorgeous and i LOVE the soul-filled jewelry you're making! so glad i stopped by.

ragamuffin yogini said...

I too found you through Pixie's blog. Envious of your gypsy travels....namaste'

... said...

You are amazing.

Laura said...

Truly Amazing Mama!

Unknown said...

Beautiful. your daughter looks very much like our 8 month old baby girl, Alese. Wonderful life you lead.

Ames said...

Most amazing, beautiful, free photo I've ever seen. Love it!

Becky Dwinell said...

This is an amazing and beautiful photo. You should enter into the "extreme" nursing photo contest here http://www.breastfeedingproject.org/events/ongoing-events/extreme-nursing-photo-competition. I think it would win hands down. It's just beautiful and lovely. How fortunate you are to live in such a wonderful community of acceptance.

Relish said...

I am in awe of your yoga skill. Breastfeeding I can do, yoga I cannot. Beautiful, beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing.

FILIZ emma SOYAK said...

Simply beautiful.

think effect said...

I am in awe of this pic... it brought back so many cherished moments I shared with my littles. Breastfeeding was the one thing that only I could share with my bubs... it was a great way for me to connect with them, particularly when I went back to work.

What you said about bubs seeking out an extra feed is so true.. its such a natural instinct.

Thank you so much for sharing it

Genevieve said...

YES!!! Finally find the source of this photo!

Love it by the way!!!

allafinearrivamamma said...

This picture shocked me yesterday: it is the most intimate and true I have
ever seen about my sense of motherhood.
I close my eyes and I think I can feel the sensation of a child
takes the life from me.
That this is meant in a physical sense or figuratively does not matter. And 'my
maternal instinct that has made its way violently at this time and in this
my body.
It seems strange now to make this discussion two years of research, but is not
so obvious.
Sometimes we take for granted a few steps, even if we are the little people
way, not superficial, conscious events.
Yet, I assumed my sense of motherhood.
That picture reminded me that my hand is part of the maternity
My body is innate, regardless of cultural boundaries, from
dictated by social contamination in a hurry to become a mother in relation
at my age. Beyond all this, I am a mother, and my body is me
said.
This upsets me ... but it comforts me.

thanks.

Your Birth Coach Dr. Nancy said...

Love this picture. Love how calm and peaceful and grounding it seems. It makes me yearn for a different pace in life. To slow down and connect with mother earth and motherhood.


Also, the name Naia was on my list for my last pregnancy but I had a boy.

LynnD said...

I love the picture! It is how life should be...grounded, relaxed and natural! Props to the photographer beautiful moment!!

shanyag said...

I just shared on my wall on FB with the following comment: Not all will understand or even get the beauty of this pic. Not posting for an open debate or argument on it, just something that I see as beauty, I was not able to BF and I greatly respect my fellow mommas that do and just the sheer thought of doing it while in this amazing yoga pose just shows how strong us women really are.... carry on !

lionqueen said...

True beauty in nature. Wonderful :)

ChiTownAP said...

How would a person who is interested in this lifestyle get started?

Daughter of the Sun said...

Thank you all for your beautiful words! Feeling you so strongly and so grateful to connect with you all here!
~Chi Town... to answer your question... it all started with my yoga practice. Really allowing myself the time and space to sit and just BE. Through this came much clarity and love vibrated from all cells of my being. I wanted to live simply, I wanted to be free, I wanted to find happiness and do this all in the most clean and vibrant place possible. A place where I could be sustainable while eating local organic foods and drinking the purest of water. My heart lead me to Kauai and I have never looked back. I made a choice, a lifestyle choice that i knew required discipline and dedication. I have to remind myself in every moment to choose love. This is possible for us all! Its a wild world and we create our own reality! How exciting is this! Feel free to email me for further thoughts! xx aloha... xx

We Are Not Typical - WANT said...

thank you for the beuty you share :) you are an inspiration

Ladies Holiday said...

Loving Mama!

Tawny said...

Inspirational!!

dececcokm said...

I have spent a year trying to fnd the origin of this photo, I love it.

shan said...

love this blog <3 <3 <3

womb mountain said...

this image is amazing and inspiring.. you are both so beautiful!! thank you for sharing what most people would hide from the world. we need more mamma's like you! much love, light and blessings to you and your lucky little treasure

womb mountain said...

this image is amazing and inspiring.. you are both so beautiful!! thank you for sharing what most people would hide from the world. we need more mamma's like you! much love, light and blessings to you and your lucky little treasure

santos said...

mama mia..!.. do your way, please...

Momma Jorje said...

I absolutely LOVE this image! And I've finally got an excuse to use it on my blog! Will be publishing tomorrow:

Momma Jorje - Naked Yoga: Gaining Body Acceptance

Thank you for sharing this gorgeous image!

Karina Almasi said...

What a fantastic and beautiful picture!

Robert Blaisdell said...

So wonderful...ahh headstand and breastfeeding..You are feeding your brain with blood and giving you child life...So sweet..thanks for your comment about practicing compassion Have a great day!!

Rich DeLuca said...

The best!

David Fenner said...

It does seem like you are criticizing the people who don't share your lifestyle and views, in explaining your lifestyle.

Maru said...

Esta imagen es muy, muy hermosa, tu familia es hermosa, su vida es hermosa e inspira a los demas a tratar de estar mas en contacto con nuestro ser esencial. Saludos desde Argentina!
Maru

Blaine said...

The most unique mother with child photograph I've ever seen. Simply beautiful!

Aude Le Gall said...

I don't anderstand why people are so annoyed witj this beautiful foto, You've made choices in your live, you asume it...Keep this way...

Jett Superior said...

To share a photo like this would not be in my comfort zone, but the grace you have displayed in the light of the attention you have gotten --including the negative bits-- is admirable.

I love that last sentence up there: "I understand our family is not the stereotypical ideal. We might look different to the mainstream world, but the closeness and love we share is beyond ideal."

All the best to you.

Carlos Diaz said...

I can only congratulate with you for your braveness to publish your beautyfull photo who captures one of the most intimate and profound moments between a mother with his son. We live in a world unable to undestand many things....Your images all over your blog, would make me very happy to share the peace, spirituality and tranquility that you enjoy......

Joe said...

An exceptional snapshot. Tenderness, beauty and intimacy. Viewing it produces feelings of warmth and serenity. Thank you. May you continue to live the life you envision.

nadia said...

I love your photo and your philosophy of life. I found this picture accidentally and posted it in my LJ blog in Russian. Not all Russian could appreciate it, because many are damaged with prejudices and religion. But most of my 2000 friends - did. I send to you many beams of love and tenderness, as we do in Livejournal and wish your family the very best

nadia said...

I love your photo and your philosophy of life. I found this picture accidentally and posted it in my LJ blog in Russian. Not all Russian could appreciate it, because many are damaged with prejudices and religion. But most of my 2000 friends - did. I send to you many beams of love and tenderness, as we do in Livejournal and wish your family the very best

John said...

Beautiful photo, beautiful words. All the best to you.

brelovich said...

My wife just said: "We may have to get another baby" after seeing this.

I shared the photo, with credits and a link to this post, on my own parenting blog http://mittlivsompappa.se/ (in Swedish)

Please let me know if you have any objections to this.

King Vir said...

That is wonderful picture.

Yasmeen Elsayed said...

شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
عزل وتنظيف الخزانات
خدمات التسليك والتسربات
نقل وتخزين الاثاث
مكافحة الحشرات ورش المبيدات
خدمات التنظيف

Yasmeen Elsayed said...

شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجاري بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام

Yasmeen Elsayed said...

نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة
عزل وتنظيف الخزانات
خدمات التسليك والتسربات
نقل وتخزين الاثاث
مكافحة الحشرات ورش المبيدات
خدمات التنظيف
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

Yasmeen Elsayed said...

شركة تنظيف موكيت بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف فلل بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تسليك مجارى بالمدينة المنورة
شركة رش مبيدات بالمدينة المنورة
مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تخزين عفش بالمدينة المنورة

Yasmeen Elsayed said...

شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
عزل وتنظيف الخزانات
خدمات التسليك والتسربات
نقل وتخزين الاثاث
مكافحة الحشرات ورش المبيدات
خدمات التنظيف
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالمدينة المنورة

Yasmeen Elsayed said...

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجاري بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام

Jackson Smith said...

Yoga is a kind of exercise which is designed to help you to create positive health habits that will improve the quality of your life and give you stress free while handling all the daily problems.

jasananda yoga teacher said...

This blog is very well Thanks for posting Keep it up
Book a Private Yoga Teacher singapore Trial Class for a reduced fee of $95 to learn more about our positive change and healing process.
http://www.jasananda.com/

Supriya Basu said...

South Indian Sexy Mother And Her Daughter Forced Raped By Police Officer
~
~
*
*
~
~
Muslim College Girls Virgin Fuck Video, Muslim Girls Sex With Her Hindu Boyfriend
~
~
*
*
~
~
Bound MILF Drinking Pee, BBW Women Group Sex With Eleven Young Boy, Mom Fucks Video
~
~
*
*
~
~
Mallu Bhabhi Sucking Big Black Penis, Indian Bhabhi Secret Sex Scandals Video Leaked
~
~
*
*
~
~
Indian Son Fucked Her Step Mother, Son Blackmail Her Step Mom And Fuck Hard, Oral Sex Video

David James said...

Each sensible are able to ignore found on this special absolutely nucleus as you move the marrow is provided aboveground, each ligaments so passion are able to develop as you move the your body ignore. Filthy temperatures is likely to be removed, filthy hard work is likely to be in the near future reprocessed. Each bodily organs stand out, blood should be rejuvenated so invigorated. Each nervous system awakens so re-adjusts while harmonies applying certain total needs and wants reducing excessive temp so uneasy fuzziness. Associated meditations taken on at condition will permit each heart-mind to spread out so seriously not worry for a result increases ability to tolerate difficulty. Autumn Retreats

David James said...

Meditation yoga pranayama and spiritual retreat to be found at Tourné generally intended for developing as well having peace. Peace seriously isn't understanding linked engaging ordeals, this can be the mind and body declare that abandon participants are going to skill. Understanding how to turn out real beneficial as well being beneficial over problematical life-time instances is the right get an advantage.